Baby Boomers, Hepatitis C Testing, and Life Insurance - Making the Connection
When applying for life insurance, you usually have blood work done. This test can unearth some potential health problems that you may not be aware of. I recently had my annual physical and my doctor suggested I have hepatitis C testing. My first thought was “is there something you know that I don’t know?” She explained people born between 1945 through 1965 make up for the largest percentage of the population who have Hepatitis C. As I am a baby boomer, she recommended I have the simple blood test.
According to the Mayo Clinic:
- More than 75 percent of adults infected with hepatitis C virus are in their 50s and 60s.
- Baby boomers are five times more likely to have hepatitis C than are adults in other age groups.
- Hepatitis C is often a silent infection. At least 45 percent of people with hepatitis C are unaware that they are infected.
- Cirrhosis caused by chronic hepatitis C is the top reason for liver transplantation in the United States. Nearly 40 percent of liver transplants in adults are due to hepatitis C.
- Hepatitis C-related illness, including liver failure and liver cancer, claims more than 15,000 adult lives in the United States each year. Most of those who die of these causes are baby boomers.
If you have blood work for a life insurance exam, hepatitis B, and C are screened. I have had clients who were tested positive for hepatitis C and were unaware they had it. The good news is there are treatments available. The earlier you are treated, the less damage the virus can do to your liver.
Life insurance is available to individuals who have been treated for hepatitis C. There are a lot of factors that go into the underwriting decision including but not limited to how long ago was the diagnosis, type of treatment, dates treatment started and ended, current liver enzymes.
If you are interested in securing a life insurance policy and you have the hep-C virus, you could be approved if the factors mentioned above are favorable.
About the author: Teri Costen has been in the life insurance business for over 20 years. She is a mother of three who enjoys working out, taking aerobic kickboxing classes, and making stained glass. Teri believes that finding the right life insurance policy helps protect your family and loved ones. You can contact Teri at 1-800-651-1953 or TCosten@Pivot.com.